READ AROUND THE WORLD
The purpose of the challenge is for participants to expand their understanding of the world. In a sense, you are “traveling” around the world through the medium of books. You can read ANY book(s) with a cross-cultural theme. Try your local library, bookstore, Amazon or even your home bookshelf.
Parents of young children read one picture book/day to their child about another culture (any variation on that) and talk with them briefly about the book. For elementary-aged kids, the focus may be on a chapter in a chapter book.
Older kids and adults without young children can participate individually. In this case, only one or two books would be necessary, reading for at least 20 mins or 20 pages / day. Books can be paper or digital. (No audio presently.)
Amazon gift card prize drawing for all finishers of the challenge.
SIGN UP • READ • SHARE!
1 | Sign up HERE, then check your inbox for the link to download your free Reading Resources Ebook.
2 | You will also find a link to join our #ReadAroundTheWorld Facebook group.
3 | Check in daily, either through the Facebook group or through SPAR. Learn about SPAR here. With SPAR, you have the opportunity to earn some extra money, but the stakes are a bit higher.
FOR DAILY CHECKINS EITHER:
• Check in with a short video post in the #ReadAroundTheWorld Facebook group; OR
• Check in through the SPAR app (video built in). Look for the "#ReadAroundtheWorld" Challenge.
NOTE: The SPAR app is free. If you successfully complete the challenge, you will split the pot of money. But if you don’t check in or drop out of the challenge while it’s in session, you will lose money. This is explained in the app.
WHAT DO YOU GET IF YOU PARTICIPATE IN THIS CHALLENGE?
• A curated list of excellent multicultural books, for both kids and for adults.
• An organized framework to expand your mind and/or the mind(s) of your kids.
• Deliberate time reading with your kids => BONDING!
• Introduction to lots of good books and new worlds.
• A community of people doing this with you through Facebook & SPAR.
• A ton of fun, and perhaps motivation to continue doing this after the challenge is over.
• The possibility of making a little money (perhaps to buy one or two of the books you read)!
WHAT DO YOU GET IF YOU SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETE THIS CHALLENGE?
• Entry into an Amazon gift card drawing. Over $100 in prizes.
• Payment from SPAR (if you participated that way).
• Satisfaction you have completed the challenge and developed a new habit.
• Dedicated reading and bonding time with your young child(ren) (if included with you).
Let's do this! Any questions? Contact us here.